Entry #10 - Topics in Food Quest

 Hello world,

Lately I have been learning a lot about the U.S. food industry and how our food is being processed. I personally do not like our food industry and I think that it needs to change. I hate seeing animals being slaughtered just for our sake, and I am currently doing research on being a vegetarian because I am seriously thinking about becoming one. Not only do I think that killing innocent animals is terrible but there is also an abundance of meat not being eaten by millions of people, which means that a couple of cows’ lives could have been saved. Our food industry produces way too much food and most of it is being wasted. Most of our food is artificially processed now days and we need to go back to times where fresh fruits and vegetables were being eaten all the time. I came across this comic strip online about food processing and I think that it does an excellent job of showing the true nature of it in a cool and funny way. 

As you can see down below the comic strip has 3 pictures. The first picture is a guy reading a cook book and his dog looking up at him, and the guy says to his dog, “To make a “turducken,” you first put a chicken inside a duck inside a Turkey.”  The next picture is the guy looking down at his dog and saying, “Shouldn’t it be called a “chickduckey?” Then the dog replies back by saying, “It should be called frankenducky,” but I’m guessing that didn’t test well.” I normally do not read any comic strips or comic books so I do not quite understand the overall message of this comic strip. Although, I think what it is saying is that, like Frankenstein, animals are being treated like lab experiments all the time. Frankenstein was made from old body parts and strange chemicals. On Thanksgiving, turkeys and chickens are being stuffed with stuffing that contains bread, eggs, chicken, and many other ingredients. They are being stuffed with multiple things inside of them just like Frankenstein was. The joke that the dog made about “turducken” being called “frankenducky” is referring to the meal coming alive like Frankenstein, but the dog then realizes that name doesn’t work because the meal doesn’t come to life at all; the chicken, duck, and turkey are all dead and it is funny that this meal is being compared to Frankenstein. 

I thought this comic strip would be interesting to share with you guys because first of all, the pictures are funny. The 3 pieces of chest hair on the guy’s chest and the big nose on his face is really funny to me. Also when I came across this comic strip the nicknames used and the joke were quite confusing to me, so I thought if I shared this with others I could make better sense of it with other people’s opinions. Hopefully my insight of this comic strip somewhat made sense, but I want to hear what you guys have to say about it and what you guys think the overall message is. I think the overall message is referring to how cruel our food industry is. We have been killing animals for many centuries now and I think that it has come to the point that we have become heartless to that fact. We don’t see that what we are doing is wrong because it is in our nature to eat, especially to eat meat and we have been eating meat since the first humans roamed this earth. It is hard to stop eating meat when we have been doing it practically our whole lives. This is important to talk about because meat is highly suggested to be eaten by our society, but in reality we really don’t need to eat meat. We need to realize where our food is truly coming from and how it is affecting our bodies. If we like the way we eat and think that what we eat is healthy then by all means, let’s not change a thing. On the other hand, if we do our research and decide to eat more fresh foods and become a vegetarian then that is okay too. Think about your diet, and think about if it is the right diet for you. 

Sincerely, 

Alexis Aguilar

Here is the link to the comic strip: https://www.thecomicstrips.com/comic-strip/Mike+du+Jour/2015-11-24/135664




Comments

  1. I think this is really relevant information. You are right saying there is a lot of wasted food citizens do not already eat. I think it is an important issue to discuss and to spread awareness about. I am a lover of meat, but I always make sure my beef is pasture raised. I am blessed to live on a farm, however, I still think it is great you are looking into being vegetarian. Great job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading you entry and all the information that was in it. I personally think that food waste is one of this country's biggest issue and must be changed sooner then later. My family always tries our best to limit what we waste and try to keep it to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job you made a lot of good points good job on your blog and it doesn't hurt to changed your diet and the way you eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work getting your point across. I really like the fact that you are trying to spread awareness for the food industry. Great detail in your writing, as well as your tone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your article. When you said you were looking into becoming vegetarian, I thought I was the only one! I love that someone else hates how badly these animals are being treated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #0 - Introduction

Entry#9 - The Secrets of Starbucks