Entry #5 - Allstate Mayhem Commercial Rhetorical Analysis

     Allstate Mayhem Commercial - Dean Winters as Teenage Girl in Pink Truck

    YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/vtP-S9OS0o0


    Hello, world! My name is Alexis Aguilar and today I would like to talk about this specific Allstate Mayhem Commerical and analyze it to the best of my ability. First I would like to talk about the purpose of the ad, then the society and culture behind it, and then the structure of the commercial. Allstate Mayhem is an auto insurance company, and in this specific commercial, we have Dean Winters acting like a teenage girl driving a pink truck. 

    I think the purpose of this ad is to make the audience experience what it's like to not have good auto insurance. That if they get into a car crash they are going to go into massive debt because they made the "wrong" choice of not choosing Allstate Mayhem. Therefore, the audience should feel bad and be obligated to switch to Allstate Mayhem. They should also understand that they will be better protected from Mayhem than any other auto insurance just like Dean. I think the advertisement is trying to promote a carefree but safe lifestyle by implying that there will be times when a teenage girl will be driving with her emotions out of wack, but it will be okay because they will be protected from Mayhem. I think this ad seems very stereotypical though because Dean says," I'm a teenage girl, my BFF Becky just texted and said that she kissed Johny. Well, that's a problem because I like Johny," implying that all girls care about is boys. Girls are stereotyped to constantly be surrounded by drama and always have boyfriend issues. As a matter of fact, girls are pressured to have a boyfriend and if they don't then something may be wrong with them. I think maybe the target audience is directed towards teenagers because teenagers are very new to driving and are more likely to get into car wrecks than adult-experienced drivers, they need to know about auto insurance.

    The context just shows Dean driving a pink truck in a parking lot and swerving on purpose to hit a parked car out of rage. I think what this says about American culture is that there are a lot of teenage drivers out there, and we need to make sure that they take driving very seriously. Teenagers should be scared to drive or be more cautious after watching this commercial. Although it is a serious matter, there are funny moments in order to lighten the mood. It's funny because there is a grown man driving a pink truck acting like a teenage girl, and then he purposefully swerves and hits a parked car just because "her" crush kissed her best friend. 

    In the end, I think it is a very interesting and funny commercial and I think you should watch it. It is just something different there is nothing else like it. I wouldn't even think about having a grown man play a teenage girl for a car commercial. This commercial is also a great way of showing how dangerous driving can be and how often American citizens get into car wrecks. I hope you agree with my opinions and I hope you enjoyed the video!


    Signing off,

    Alexis Aguilar


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry#9 - The Secrets of Starbucks

Entry #10 - Topics in Food Quest

Entry #0 - Introduction